Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Chess and Holiday Dream Gifts

In the past holidays gifts I have received:
  • a beautiful Staunton set from Levitt and Pierce from my oldest Son Mike, that is my primary practice and tournament set;
  • An Isle of Lewis reproduction set (with the Bob Oresick King) from my wife;

  • and a Red Sox v NY Yankees chess set from my kids still "brand new - never been opened condition".

It would be appropriate to have Bill Lee as one piece and Mickey Rivers as another piece. The Isle of Lewis set is great in demonstrating the feeling of chess as a war game to little kids, because the pieces are very representative of real people fighting.

For this Christmas, if I could dream, I would like to have the following books:

  • "The Hammer of Thor, My most exciting chess games" by GM Larry Christiansen and
  • "Be the Force, Secrets of the Smith-Morra Gambit" by IM Marc Esserman.

I wish everyone Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, and a safe and prosperous New Year.

Hope to see you January 1 at the Herb Healy.

What would your fantasy holiday chess gifts be?
Please Comment. Maybe Santa is watching.

Thank You.

Mike Griffin 12/22/2009

No comments: