Monday, April 30, 2007

What's in a name?

The US Chess League team from Philadelphia has announced that they are changing their name from the Masterminds to the Inventors. It seems there was some moniker overlap with a local chess club. The most relevant question, of course, is whether the team will be any more competitive under the new banner.

Speaking of names, Queens' selection of Pioneers continues to generate some heat. Here are comments from The Knights of Castle Kimbark's Tom Panelas posted in a comment at US Chess Online:
As a Queens native I'm happy to see my home borough enter the USCL, and since, alas, we don't have a team here in Chicago, where I live now, this is the one I'll root for. But I have to say, I don't get the pioneer/cowboy imagery. It doesn't fit with Queens. There aren't too many places in the borough to see a nice sunset, either....

No comments: