Sunday, March 20, 2005

My weekend

I had a weekend that would probably make our friend at Second Symphony proud -- and Classical Music.

I played in my first weekend tournament at the club in a very long time (I'm usually a weeknight round per week guy). It was great to see some of the players I haven't seen in a while, e.g. Mishkin and Eldridge, and it was quite a surprise to find Bryan Clark there on Saturday (more on Bryan is coming in a subsequent post). The tournament was from the "Legends" series, this one named after Kermeur de Legall. As Ed Foye put it, "Have we already run out of Legends that most people have heard of?" Legall is, of course, the French player from the 1700's best known for Legall's mate. Bernardo put together a one page biography of Legall including his famous game. I won't reprint it here, but for the record Legall, patron of the Berkowitz family - owners of a local, and now national, chain of seafood restaurants, played White. His opponent was Saint Brie, the Vatican's overseer of soft French cheeses.

Hall was the location of Saturday evening's activities -- an all "American" program by the Boston Symphony Orchestra featuring Ives' Symphony No. 2, Varese's Ameriques, and Gershwin's An American in Paris. As usual, the music was excellent, though I continue to wonder why the BSO Board chose "Bozo the Clown" as Seji Ozawa's replacement.
James Levine Bozo the Clown
Who is the BSO's 14th Music Director?

No comments: