Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Another chess thought process

There's been a lot of discussion in the Knights Errant blogs about developing the appropriate thought process while playing the game, e.g. here, here, and here. At Twisted View, Ankit describes one you probably won't want to try:
Ever played chess? You know, the great strategic game of chess, the one which all the brainy people play? Of course you have. And so you also know how chess is supposed to be played -- you look at the board, figure out what moves you can make, try to choose the most beneficial one while all the time trying to out-think your opponent. It's a beautiful way to live.

But the problem is I can't do that. When I play chess, I expect to 'know' the right move. I want to look at the board and literally 'see' what's right -- and not spend any time thinking about it at all. Hence the fact that I suck at chess.

No comments: