Thursday, February 24, 2005

Chess Lesson, Life Lesson

From Going to the Mat's post "Don't Destroy but Don't Coddle":
A little story from my own childhood may help. My father taught me how to play , a game we still enjoy playing together. However, as a kid, my father, would play to his level, which was more advanced than mine. As a result I would lose, often and regularly. But each time I lost, my dad taught me a lesson, about chess and about life. The chess lesson was easy. The life lesson was usually left unspoken, that no matter how well you do (and I improved over time) you can still fail. Failure is a part of life, what takes courage and real self-esteem is not thinking you are a failure, but realizing that you got beat and you need to learn a lesson and apply that lesson.
Well said.

No comments: